Sunday, March 28, 2010

A Better Next Time


It's strange to look in the mirror and realize that maybe you are not the person you thought you were...To look into your own eyes and see a stranger. Who is this person looking back at me? I thought I was someone else - I thought I was brave! I thought I had perseverance! I thought I was true, real, strong, honest...who is this person I see in front of me?

When I face the things I dislike most about myself, such as my frenetic and uncontrollable style, my poor filter between thought and voice, my fear of conflict - when I have to face these things, it feels like I'm looking at another person...but I'm not - not at all! This is the me that I would rather ignore.

We all make mistakes and sometimes allow things important to float away or get lost in life's shuffle, and it's hard to stop and look closely at those mistakes. Why did they come and where do they come from? Is it simply thoughtlessness, or deeper - dark feelings hidden that emerge with an ugly head. Mistakes, like accomplishments, have incredible value because they teach so much. Mistakes sting the memory like poison ivy, creating a constant reminder that we can improve. Imagination is the artist painting the picture - showing how that improvement can come. Imagination changes the scenario in the mind, so one can do it better next time.

Will there be a next time to do it better? Maybe - or maybe imagination will help a novel situation. Regardless of whether it is the same situation or a new one, mistakes create the drive and imagination carves the picture for some kind of better next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment